Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The $0 Per Square Foot House

Building exterior showing glass jar window

Interior view of jar window

Building exterior showing glass jar window
When I talk with people about natural building, their first question is often: "How much does it cost?". Unfortunately, most people don't seem to understand my usual answer: "As much as you decide to spend". To make my meaning as clear as possible, I decided to demonstrate what could be done for free. I needed a tool shed/storage building, so I decided to make it a demonstration project with the following set of rules:

1. Materials where possible must come from the property.
2. Where materials cannot be obtained from the property, they must be available for free.
3. Only hand tools may be used
4. Every tool used must either not be necessary (in other words it was just used for convenience), or a reasonable substitute must be able to be improvised using only materials on the site.

The intent of these rules is that not only will the building cost nothing to make, the tools required to make it must be available for free as well.

www.deatech.com